Drunk threatened to stab doorman for refusing entry to Ipswich venue

Revolution Ipswich. Picture: LUCY TAYLOR

Revolution Ipswich. Picture: LUCY TAYLOR - Credit: Archant

A man who threatened to stab a doorman for refusing him entry to a nightclub has been ordered to carry out community service.

Luiri William De Sousa Lourenco had denied the offence because he had no recollection of the night he threatened to stab a doorman at Revolution Ipswich – but the 39-year-old changed his plea at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

He was already subject to a 12-month community order when he attempted to open a locked door at the nightclub at 10.45pm on Tuesday, November 29.

Prosecutor Ian Devine said: “It was clear the defendant was struggling on his feet.

“The door supervisor mouthed ‘no’ to indicate he would not be allowed entry in that condition.”

You may also want to watch:

But De Sousa Lourenco entered, smelling of alcohol and stating that he wanted to use the toilet.

Again challenged, De Sousa Lourenco responded: “If you touch me, I’ll stab you...Come any nearer and I’ll kill you.”

Most Read

Told to leave or risk being removed from the venue, De Sousa Lourenco repeated the threats.

“He had his hand in his pocket most of the time, so the doorman couldn’t be sure,” said Mr Devine.

“Police were called, as two security guards came from the Buttermarket. Meanwhile, the defendant paced outside, saying ‘I’m coming back for you’.

“Following his arrest, he told police he drank a bottle of whisky after arguing with his girlfriend.

“He had been trying to stop drinking, but went on a binge.”

Jobless De Sousa Lourenco had convictions for five drunk and disorderly offences from 2011-2016. In September, he failed to give a specimen when requested by police and was given a community order with 25 days’ rehabilitation.

Solicitor Mark Holt explained no weapon was recovered from the incident at Revolution Ipswich.

He said his client had denied the charge on December 19 because he failed to recall what happened.

“He has since thought about the matter and can’t swear he didn’t make the comments,” he added.

“I find it hard to believe the words were clearly understood. He is Portuguese by birth, has a strong accent and a stutter.”

Mr Holt said De Sousa Lourenco was initially compliant with police, but less so in custody, where he was kept for more than 13 hours before being released.

Magistrates imposed another 12-month community order with 100 hours or unpaid work and 30 days’ rehabilitation.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus