Duncan warns of `Tory Taliban'
ALAN Duncan last night withdrew from the Conservative leadership race, warning that a "Tory Taliban" could finish the party.Announcing his withdrawal, the openly gay MP for Rutland and Melton said: "Our Achilles heel has been our social attitude.
By Graham Dines
ALAN Duncan last night withdrew from the Conservative leadership race, warning that a "Tory Taliban" could finish the party.
Announcing his withdrawal, the openly gay MP for Rutland and Melton said: "Our Achilles heel has been our social attitude.
"Censorious judgmentalism from the moralising wing, which treats half our countrymen as enemies, must be rooted out. We should allow people to live as they choose until they actually harm someone.
You may also want to watch:
"If the Tory Taliban can't get that, they'll condemn us all to oblivion."
He added: "Why are we talking so little of foreign affairs and social cohesion at a time when it is shaming for us not to have a single Muslim MP?"
- 1 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 2 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 5 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 6 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 7 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused
- 8 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 9 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 10 Large scratches left on cars all parked on same road overnight
The leadership winner is expected to emerge from a trio of David Davis, David Cameron and Dr Liam Fox.
However Theresa May is expected to declare shortly that she will enter the race to succeed Michael Howard.