Dunwich: Specialist team called to explode First World War bomb found on beach
A First World War mortar bomb has been exploded by specialist teams on Dunwich Beach today.
Suffolk police were alerted by a member of the public at around 7.40am.
They reported finding a “very old, rusty kortar”, a spokeswoman for the force said.
The Bomb Disposal Team were called to assess the shell.
The poice spokeswoman added: “They arrived and put sandbags around the device.
“The beach was closed and nearby fisherman were moved from the area.
“An explosion was carried out and the Bomb Disposal Team gave the all clear just before midday.”
- 1 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 4 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 5 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 6 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 7 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 8 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 9 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 10 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking