Duo sentenced over ‘frightening’ fracas at Tower Ramparts

IPSWICH: Two young men are on supervision orders today after a fight between two groups of youngsters at Tower Ramparts shopping centre.

During the fracas, which was described as “frightening”, bottles were thrown and a man aimed a flying kick at a teenager within feet of an elderly woman with a walking frame.

Hourdes Castro, of Kingston Road, Ipswich, and Diarra Dillon, of Rapier Street, Ipswich, were sentenced at the town’s crown court after admitting affray at an earlier hearing.

Prosecutor Godfried Duah told the court the fight broke out around 2pm on January 4 between a group of five Portuguese men, including Castro, and two other men, one of whom was Dillon. The brawl occurred at the shopping centre near the entrance to the Electric House bus stops.

Mr Duah said something had happened between the groups earlier, which led to the incident. Dillon was seen gesturing and something was said. Following comments made by the larger group, the 19-year-old was heard to ask: “Are you crazy, bruv ?”

You may also want to watch:

The court heard Dillon walked towards the group and added something to the effect that “this is not happening”.

Castro then kicked out at Dillon.

Most Read

Judge David Goodin was told CCTV showed Castro, 20, aiming a fly-kick that came within feet of the elderly woman using a walking aid.

Dillon then ran into a newsagent’s shop, took some bottles and threw them at the group.

The court heard he was then said to have produced a screwdriver and threatened the group.

Mr Duah said the incident had spiralled out of control and witnesses were scared and shocked. In mitigation, Dillon and Castro claimed they were acting in self-defence.

Judge Goodin told Castro: “I accept that on the evidence before me it was not you who started this very frightening fight in one of the biggest shopping precincts in this town. But, although you didn’t start it you enthusiastically carried it on instead of retreating.”

Castro was given and 12-month supervision order and told he must do 50 hours’ unpaid work. Dillon also got a similar supervision order, but must do 60 hours’ unpaid work.

Both must pay �40 towards costs.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus