Duo to vital funds for charity in China trek
IPSWICH: An Ipswich couple will take part in a gruelling 10-day trek in hopes of raising hundreds of pounds for charity.
Claire and Daniel Barr are currently preparing to embark on a challenge which will see them walk along the Great Wall of China.
The mammoth fundraising event will see the pair, who own Anglia Factors in Martlesham Heath, hike for eight hours every day while climbing the wall’s steep steps.
Every penny raised from the challenge, which is set to take place in October, will be donated to St Elizabeth Hospice.
Mrs Barr told the Evening Star that the duo have always supported the work of the hospice.
You may also want to watch:
She later said: ““We decided however that 2010 would be the year we did something not only personally challenging and rewarding but something that would also raise money for such a wonderful local charity.”
“We will be training hard. We will have to set up practice hikes around the local area and train at our local gym to get to full fitness.
- 1 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 2 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 4 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 5 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 6 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 7 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
- 8 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 9 Teacher denies sexually assaulting two girls
- 10 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
“We have lots of emotions about the challenge, going out of our comfort zone, apprehension, but really excited about finally being able to achieve a lifelong ambition.”
Rachael Mittell, of St Elizabeth Hospice, said: “Claire and Daniel have certainly set themselves an exciting challenge and I am sure they will find it very rewarding. We are so glad they have chosen to support the Hospice by doing this trek and whatever they raise will really make a difference.”
St Elizabeth Hospice, an independent charity which costs �5.9 million a year to run, aims to improve the quality of life for people in East Suffolk who have an illness from which they will not recover.
If you would like to support Claire and Daniel contact them on 01473 610192 or visit www.justgiving.com/DanielAndClairesChinaChallenge