Dustman admits speeding in fatal accident

A DUSTCART driver has pleaded guilty to speeding following a fatal collision which killed a popular young businessman.

Dave Gooderham

A DUSTCART driver has pleaded guilty to speeding following a fatal collision which killed a popular young businessman.

Gareth Weiland , 26, died almost a year ago after the collision with a dustcart when he got out of a taxi in east London.

His family were yesterday at Barking Magistrates Court to see Stephen Alderton plead guilty to one charge of speeding in relation to the accident.

You may also want to watch:

A two-day trial had been scheduled for Alderton, 46, of Rose Lane, Romford, to face one charge of driving without due care and attention.

But at the last moment, the charge was withdrawn and Alderton instead pleaded guilty to speeding and was fined a total of �385 and given three penalty points.

Most Read

The popular businessman, whose family live in Boxford, near Sudbury, had been enjoying an evening watching rugby with friends at Twickenham prior to the accident.

He suffered devastating head injuries in the collision and died at the Royal London Hospital in May of last year. Within hours of his death, his parents took the decision to allow his organs to be used to save others - in honour of their “generous and kind” son.

After university, Mr Weiland had followed his father into the telephone industry and was carving a successful career when tragedy struck.

Friends will pay a unique tribute to Mr Weiland next month when a charity cricket day will be held at Boxford Playing Fields in his honour.

The day will feature four cricket teams - involving close friends from both Suffolk and his former university - as well as a live band and auction which features items from Mr Weiland's favourite football team, Tottenham Hotspur.

Friend Ben Woodfield, who is organising the cricket day, said: “We are pleased with how the event is progressing and the support we have got.”

The charity cricket day will be held on May 24 and run from 11am until late.

During the sentence hearing yesterday, Alderton was fined �300, ordered to pay �70 costs, a �15 victim surcharge and had his licence endorsed with three penalty points. The family of Mr Weiland was unavailable for comment last night.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus