EADT bogus caller campaign is relaunched

THE East Anglian Daily Times is relaunching its Safe In Your Home campaign todayafter eight homes were targeted by conmen in the space of a few hours.Bogus callers struck at a sheltered housing complex in Wickham Market and targeted four homes and four other properties in Aldeburgh and Leiston were also hit on Saturday.

THE East Anglian Daily Times is relaunching its Safe In Your Home campaign todayafter eight homes were targeted by conmen in the space of a few hours.

Bogus callers struck at a sheltered housing complex in Wickham Market and targeted four homes and four other properties in Aldeburgh and Leiston were also hit on Saturday.

The string of incidents occurred within four hours and has prompted the EADT to relaunch its bid to help crackdown on bogus callers, who generally pose as workmen and officials to steal cash and belongings from the homes of elderly people.

The successful Safe In Your Home campaign has earned praise for raising awareness of the issue and helping to reduce crime rates.


You may also want to watch:


Now, the initiative is being renewed to stem a spate of recent incidents.

A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said: "We are delighted the EADT is relaunching its Safe in Your Home campaign.

Most Read

"Bogus calling is a cruel crime that targets the most vulnerable people in our society. Any support the public can give us to help catch the people responsible will be much appreciated."

Terry Hunt, EADT editor said; "These crimes cause a great deal of distress to people who should be enjoying a peaceful and safe time in their lives. We will do whatever we can to help protect people from these callous individuals and bring the criminals to justice."

Four of Saturday's eight incidents happened at the Richard Kitson Court sheltered housing complex in Chapel Lane, Wickham Market, between 5.15pm and 5.30pm.

Two men, who were working independently, got inside four homes and tried to get into another.

In three of the four cases, one of the men entered a flat by an unlocked door and, when confronted by the occupant, said he was looking for someone and left.

Nothing was stolen in the incidents, but the residents were said to have suffered a great deal of distress.

Four further incidents happened later that day, two in Aldeburgh High Street and two in Platers Walk, Leiston.

A man stole a small sum of cash from a property in High Street after getting inside via an unlocked door between 6pm and 6.30pm.

He told the 83-year-old woman resident he was from the housing association when he was confronted and then left.

A man entered the home of an 85-year-old woman in the same street between 8pm and 9.15pm, and claimed to be a police officer when he was confronted.

He asked her to check if she had any money stolen and to see if her kitchen had been broken into, and when she returned he had fled with cash.

The offender is described as white, aged 25 to 30-years-old, of slim build and he was wearing a blue short sleeved shirt and dark trousers.

Two further incidents happened in Platers Walk, Leiston, when men entered properties through unlocked doors at around 7pm. In both cases, the intruders were disturbed and left empty-handed.

Both men were said to be aged in their 20s and of slim build. One had dark hair and a tanned complexion while the other had fair hair and a pointed, thin nose.

Anyone with information about any of these incidents is asked to contact Woodbridge or Leiston CID on 01473 613500.

nThe EADT will be producing laminated advice cards to help stop people falling prey to bogus callers. The cards will be available in the next few days and details of how to obtain them will be published shortly.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus