East Anglia: Water firm inundated with frozen pipe calls
ANGLIAN Water has been “deluged” with calls from people with frozen pipes.
As the big freeze continues, the water company’s call centre received more than 2,000 calls this morning - a 150% increase on normal levels.
Most of the calls have been about customers’ own pipes which have frozen or burst, which is something Anglian Water can do nothing about.
And now the company is appealing to people with frozen pipes not to call and is offering advice on how to deal with the problem.
Spokesman John Clare said: “Please don’t call us if your pipes are frozen as unfortunately we’re not able to do anything to help you restore your water supply.
You may also want to watch:
“We need to free our phone lines so we can deal with calls about the water mains and sewerage networks which are our responsibility, so we can act quickly to deal with any problems.”
Anglian Water has issued advice for people who are not sure whether they have a problem with their internal pipe work, or if there is an issue with the mains supply.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 3 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 4 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 A&E under pressure as patient levels return to pre-pandemic levels
- 9 Ipswich to face army of familiar faces as Town draw U's in EFL Trophy
- 10 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
They are advised to check with neighbours to see if they’re also without water.
If they are unaffected and if the cold tap in your kitchen is still working, it is likely you have frozen pipes in your house.
However, if several adjacent houses have all lost their water supply then that is something Anglian Water needs to know, as it could mean a water mains problem.
If you have a water meter fitted to the external wall of your property, or the cold kitchen tap doesn’t work, then it is possible that your private supply pipe is frozen.