East Bergholt: Flower show success for gardeners at village primary school
- Credit: Su Anderson
Green-fingered children from a village school have been rewarded for their efforts with a Silver Gilt award from the RHS Chelsea Flower Show.
Members of the gardening club at East Bergholt Primary School had some of their plants and design elements included within a Miracle-Gro display.
As well as learning about plants and where food comes from, youngsters have also been using the school garden for science lessons and doing experiments to see how tall plants grow with and without the garden product.
Four of the pupils went to the show for a day to promote their garden, put together in partnership with 37 other schools nationwide.
Andrew Williams, year two teacher and head of the school gardening club, said: “We are really big here on outdoor learning, and we live in a really rural part of the country where agriculture is big so it is good for the children to have that knowledge and keep it going.
You may also want to watch:
“The children are ecstatic with the award, our third year in a row, and the gardening lcub is being inundated.
“They were fantastic, especially those four who went to London, they were excellent ambassadors for the school.”
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn