East of England: Farm income fell in 2012 from previous year, but trend upward
- Credit: Archant
Crops and livestock in the East of England enjoyed a turnover of £3.445billion in 2012, according to latest figures.
The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) says the region made £1.933bn from crops, and £1.132bn from livestock in 2012, and that after input costs are taken into account, the region’s farm income was £845m - more than any other region in England.
Overall, the figures show the short-term trend for the region’s farm income is upwards, although it was down by about 4% on 2011 levels.
Turnover for the region was up by £46m, or 1.4%, on 2011, when it stood at £3.399bn. However, once costs or inputs are taken into account, farm income fell slightly from £883m in 2011.
The 4.3% drop in overall farm income in the region was affected by some increased input costs - although some items, such as seeds and fertiliser costs - fell from 2011 levels. At the same time, energy, chemicals and animal feed costs all went up.
You may also want to watch:
The gross value of farming to the region’s economy was estimated at about 1.1%.
Across England as a whole, agriculture’s turnover was £18bn, made up of £7.6bn from crops and £8.862 from livestock in 2012 and farm income was £3.802bn.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 7 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 8 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 9 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car