Crews battle fire at landfill site for more than six hours
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A huge fire broke out at an industrial site in Stanway, with six crews working for several hours to extinguish the blaze.
Firefighters from Essex County Fire and Rescue Service were called to reports of the blaze in Warren Lane, Stanway at 11am on Easter Monday.
On arrival, crews confirmed that there was a fire at an industrial site, approximately 50m x 20m in size.
Due to the remote location of the incident, a water bowser - a specialist fire vehicle with a large tank of water - was requested so the firefighters could have a good supply of water to extinguish the fire, as well as an off-road vehicle.
Engines from Colchester, Wivenhoe, Coggeshall, Halstead and Manningtree were sent to the scene and firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze for the duration of the day.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews made steady progress to extinguish the fire using site machinery to move the rubbish and extinguish hot spots.”
Crews left the scene of the fire at 7pm after working to make the scene safe and leaving it in the care of the site owner.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 4 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 5 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 8 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 9 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 10 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
Firefighters will revisit the site this morning.