England squad praise 'fantastic guy' Ed for Three Lions performance
- Credit: PA
Suffolk singer Ed Sheeran has earnt the praise of the England team for a private performance for the Euro 2020 squad.
The Castle on the Hill singer headed down to St George's Park to perform for the team on their only day off during the tournament.
Sheeran, who is a shirt sponsor for Ipswich Town next season, delivered an outdoor acoustic show while the players sat around and enjoyed a barbecue.
The team is preparing for their clash against Germany at Wembley on Tuesday as the competition enters the knockout stages.
Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson told assembled media at St George’s Park that the squad had spent a few hours with the Suffolk-raised star.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I have to say he was a top, top man. He was a fantastic guy. Straight away he was very warm and as a performer everyone knows how good he is.
“It was great to have him outside playing a few songs and speaking to him. It was a really good night. To have him round for a few hours was nice.”
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
The sportsman described the event as “a relaxed thing”.
He added: “It was very private, a bit of food, a barbecue. He jumped on the guitar and played a few songs. It was incredible. It was a bit surreal at times.
“He was sitting playing the guitar while we were eating food. I couldn’t speak highly enough of him as a person. I thought he was brilliant and the lads really enjoyed it.”
Sheeran is preparing to release Bad Habits, his first single without a collaborator since 2017, on Friday.
The track will receive its first live outing when Sheeran performs from Ipswich Town’s Portman Road on June 25 for TikTok’s Uefa Euro 2020 show.