EDF confident over Sizewell C project future
- Credit: Archant
Officials at EDF Energy say they fully expect the Sizewell C nuclear power station to go ahead and expect the trigger for the next stage of its development to take place soon.
There was considerable national press speculation last week over the future of the £18billion Hinkley Point C scheme in Somerset after EDF failed to announce the final investment decision (FID) for the project.
Unless Hinkley Point C proceeds, Sizewell C will not be built.
The investment decision will also spark the eagerly-awaited next phase of the public consultation for the Suffolk complex when more details of transport links, the workers’ accommodation campus, and park and ride sites will be announced.
Tom McGarry, head of communications for Sizewell C, said “good progress” was being made on the Hinkley project and the company was confident it would be built. It was “absolutely confident” of reaching the FID soon.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Following the announcement of the partnership between EDF and China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGN), we said the FID would be reached ‘in the coming months’ – EDF never said the decision would be taken on January 27.”
Permission had only just been granted for Hinkley’s national grid connection and last week a lease had been taken on an office block in Bristol to act as the company’s command centre for the project.
- 1 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 6 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 7 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 8 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
Mr McGarry said: “Reaching the FID will be good news for Sizewell C and we can move into the next stage of consultation.”