EDF confident over Sizewell C project future
- Credit: Archant
Officials at EDF Energy say they fully expect the Sizewell C nuclear power station to go ahead and expect the trigger for the next stage of its development to take place soon.
There was considerable national press speculation last week over the future of the £18billion Hinkley Point C scheme in Somerset after EDF failed to announce the final investment decision (FID) for the project.
Unless Hinkley Point C proceeds, Sizewell C will not be built.
The investment decision will also spark the eagerly-awaited next phase of the public consultation for the Suffolk complex when more details of transport links, the workers’ accommodation campus, and park and ride sites will be announced.
Tom McGarry, head of communications for Sizewell C, said “good progress” was being made on the Hinkley project and the company was confident it would be built. It was “absolutely confident” of reaching the FID soon.
He said: “Following the announcement of the partnership between EDF and China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGN), we said the FID would be reached ‘in the coming months’ – EDF never said the decision would be taken on January 27.”
Permission had only just been granted for Hinkley’s national grid connection and last week a lease had been taken on an office block in Bristol to act as the company’s command centre for the project.
- 1 Revealed: The most isolated villages in Suffolk
- 2 Mystery surrounds container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast
- 3 Protests against soaring fuel prices planned for Monday
- 4 Ambitious plans to regenerate 'dilapidated' part of Suffolk town revealed
- 5 One of north Suffolk's 'most productive' arable farms up for sale
- 6 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
- 7 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 8 Double-decker bus bought on eBay becomes new home for evicted Suffolk family
- 9 'I'll do whatever's in my power' - Ball makes vow to Ipswich Town fans
- 10 Suffolk museum to host military vehicle display
Mr McGarry said: “Reaching the FID will be good news for Sizewell C and we can move into the next stage of consultation.”