First look at Ipswich college's new £2.4 million campus
- Credit: Suffolk New College
The first peak at Suffolk New College's tech building shows how a derelict building has been transformed ready for students to move in from November.
The new £2.4 million three-storey facility in Rope Walk will be a hub for Information Technology (IT) course subjects like Esports, Games Design and IT. A brand new T-level course in digital production, design and development will also be taught in the building from 2022.
Nigel Champion, the newly appointed technical curriculum designer and existing curriculum coordinator at Suffolk New College, said: “My role is to develop courses and business relationships across the region and the UK, to allow students who come here to get the advanced technical IT networking skills they need to hit the ground running when it comes to gaining a career or progressing into higher education.
“I really believe that the new Tech Campus will put us on the map when it comes to developing new digital talent for this region and beyond. The facility will house some impressive technology and will be a progressive space to learn and work – and we have lots of exciting plans to link up with industry partners.
“We are also excited to be developing a new curriculum that will focus on cyber security, so budding James Bond’s should definitely apply. Other exciting plans will include the creation of a new Esports team. I’m thrilled to be involved – it’s great news for the town and region.”
You may also want to watch:
Funding for the project has come from the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership with architect's Ingleton Wood helping bring the vision to life.
Chris Starkie, chief executive of New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership, said: “We’re delighted to be supporting the new Tech Campus through our Growth Deal with Government.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 8 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 9 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
“Boosting tech skills will help to supply the skilled workforce needed by businesses in all sectors. It is important that we invest in developing talent locally and this first-class new facility will offer brilliant learning opportunities for the students who will become the tech stars of the future."
Paul Ruffell, director and project manager at Ingleton Wood, said: “The state-of-the-art Tech Campus will no doubt inspire the next generation of creative and digital superstars whilst solidifying Suffolk’s reputation as a leader in technology and investing in local skills to help meet industry demand.
“We were pleased to help bring to life the state-of-the-art vision and used our extensive expertise in the education sector to deliver this major project on time, to budget and to specification – using a semi-industrial, contemporary interior design to help create an innovative environment for students and staff."
The official opening of the facility takes place on November 4. For more details on the campus email here.