World Book Day celebrations - children get all dressed up
- Credit: Beth Nial
Are your children celebrating World Book Day today? Our gallery gives a taste of some of the costumes.
Although lockdown means that most children won't go back to the classroom until next week, the occasion is still being marked in style by schools and families around Suffolk and Essex.
Many pupils who are currently in school, including children of key workers, have gone in dressed up as favourite characters, while others are joining in the fun virtually from home.
Some schools have also organised special activities - for instance pupils at Tollgate Primary School, in Bury St Edmunds, started the celebrations early with a virtual storytelling event.
You may also want to watch:
Students at Felixstowe School enjoyed a range of literacy-inspired activities, including online sessions with guest authors and a book review competition.
Darren Meitner-Harvey, assistant headteacher, said: “While it is a little different this year, World Book Day 2021 is perhaps more important than ever.
- 1 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 4 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 5 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 6 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 7 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 8 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 9 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 10 Town's new owners to discuss player recruitment with Cook this week
“Our students have been amazing during lockdown, but we know everyone has spent a lot of time staring at screens. Our responsibility is to ensure there is a book in the hands of every young person.”
And West End stars are bringing books to life for pupils at Leiston Primary School via a series of online readings.
Are your children celebrating World Book Day? Send your photos to email@example.com - please remember to say your child's name and the character they are portraying.