Elderly residents evacuated
ELDERLY residents of a Suffolk care home were evacuated today after a fire broke out in a linen cupboard.
A total of 34 residents of the Brandon Park nursing home were moved to a neighbouring building after the fire was spotted shortly after 9am.
Fire appliances from Brandon and Thetford were called to the blaze, later joined by appliances from a wider area.
A fleet of ambulance crews from Bury St Edmunds, Mildenhall, Newmarket and Sudbury were also dispatched to the scene.
Two residents had to be taken to hospital for treatment for shock after being rescued from the building.
You may also want to watch:
Reports from the scene suggested that the fire was confined to the linen cupboard, but the first floor of the building was seriously smoke-logged.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “The team of paramedics from West Suffolk assisted in the evacuation of 34 residents following a fire that broke out in the building.
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 3 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 4 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 5 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 6 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
- 9 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
“At present, the paramedics are caring for them in a nearby place of safety whilst the incident is being dealt with.”