Police warning after distraction burglary in Newmarket
An elderly woman had jewellery stolen in a distraction burglary in Newmarket after a man entered her house claiming to be from the water board.
Police are appealing for witnesses following the incident, which took place at an address in Portland Green yesterday.
An elderly woman received a call at the door from a man claiming to be from the water board just after 3pm, and he advised her to turn the water off.
While the victim was preoccupied, a quantity of jewellery was stolen from the house.
The suspect is described as a white male, with an accent and sharp facial features. He was wearing navy overalls and a peak cap. A second suspect was seen outside also wearing a navy cap and clothing.
You may also want to watch:
Police are keen to hear from anyone who may have been in the area and seen anything unusual that may be linked to what happened.
Anyone with information about this crime is asked to contact Suffolk Police on 101 quoting CAD 236 of November 30.
Advice on how to deal with cold callers and how to keep yourself safe at home can also be found on the ‘advice’ pages on the Suffolk police website.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 4 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 5 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Absolutely the right manager for this football club' - Ashton backs Cook to turn Town around
- 9 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 10 Comedian Jack Whitehall visits Suffolk's 'most incredible' Wilderness Reserve