Elderly yachtsman rescued from river
An elderly man was taken to hospital after he fell ill while onboard a yacht in the River Orwell.
The solo yachtsman reported suffering abdominal pains while onboard his 25ft catamaran, Pelican Humble.
Harwich Lifeboat was launched at around 3.50pm yesterday and towed the yacht from the entrance to the River Orwell to Suffolk Yacht Harbour, in Levington, where the boat was met and assisted ashore by Felixstowe Coastguard and an ambulance crew.
The man was then taken to Heath Road Hospital, in Ipswich.
Earlier, at around 10.20am, Thames Coastguard stood by and supervised a 30ft sailing yacht, Moonraker, with four people on board, which suffered engine failure, due to a fuel leak, about a mile off Thorpeness.
You may also want to watch:
The crew onboard the yacht were able to carry out temporary repairs and continue their sail to Lowestoft.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 4 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 5 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 6 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 7 The 36 best restaurants in Suffolk according to the AA guide
- 8 5 cheap or free things to do in Suffolk this weekend
- 9 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe car park
- 10 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia