Sleeping man saved from ‘heavily smoke-logged’ flat after kitchen fire
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A man who fell asleep was saved from his “heavily smoke-logged” Colchester flat when a fire broke out in the kitchen - after cooking was left unattended in the oven.
The resident had to be given oxygen therapy after firefighters wearing breathing aids went into the apartment in Elmstead Road and found him asleep in another room.
Crews extinguished the fire by 9.56am on Friday, October 16 having arrived at 9.15am, after neighbours called emergency services when they heard the smoke alarm.
Essex Fire and Rescue Service said it believes the fire was caused by cooking left unattended in the oven.
Watch manager Richard Lark, from Colchester Fire Station, warned residents to “never leave cooking unattended and don’t cook when you’re tired”.
He added: “Thankfully, this man had working smoke alarms that alerted his neighbours.
“I’d like to praise the neighbours for acting quickly when hearing smoke alarms going off and calling us, they helped to save their neighbour’s life.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 4 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 5 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 6 Driver arrested for being four times over legal limit
- 7 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 8 'We're probably not as good as we think we are' - Cook on FA Cup draw with Barrow
- 9 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 10 'Gutted to see the gaffer go' - Norwood on Cook sacking
“If you hear someone’s smoke alarms going off, always call 999, even if you think others might have done so already.”