Search

Embers from incinerator sparks shed fire

PUBLISHED: 19:45 19 September 2020 | UPDATED: 19:45 19 September 2020

Firefighters battled a shed blaze in Dedham Picture: ARCHANT

Firefighters battled a shed blaze in Dedham Picture: ARCHANT

Archant

Firefighters battled a garden fire in Dedham after embers in an incinerator set a shed alight.

Two fire crews from Colchester attended the incident in Monks Lane, Dedham, around 2.25pm today.

On arrival, firefighters reported that a garden shed was on fire and managed to extinguish the blaze by 2.47pm.

Andrew Deex, crew manager from Colchester Fire Station, said: “If you are going to have a bonfire or a fire in an incinerator, make sure it’s properly extinguished before you leave it. In this dry weather, embers can quickly catch grass and plants alight and spread.”

Essex Fire and Rescue Service issued the following safety advice for anyone planning to have a bonfire:

You may also want to watch:

• Site the bonfire well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs

• Never leave the bonfire burning unattended

• Build the stack so that it is stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side

• Never use flammable liquids - paraffin or petrol - to light the fire

• Don’t burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint and bottles

• Keep everyone away from the fire - especially children, who must be supervised at all times

• Pour water on the embers before leaving


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times