Charity work inspires marathon man Fabio to take on running event
- Credit: Archant
A charity volunteer has been so inspired by the work he has been involved in that he is taking on a marathon challenge for the cause.
Ipswich resident Fabio Wahnon is looking forward to returning to his home city – and hitting the streets to do the London Marathon to raise money for the vital work of British Red Cross.
Mr Wahnon, 28, has lived in Ipswich for the past five years and works for the emergency services.
He said: “My inspiration for running for the British Red Cross comes from the volunteering work I have undertaken with them over the last year.
“I have volunteered on the Support at Home Scheme; which supports elderly and vulnerable people when they are discharged from hospital.
“This includes up to 12 weeks of help with everyday tasks – for example, picking up prescriptions, shopping etc – transport to important GP or hospital visits or a simple sit-down chat and a cup of tea.
“The goal is to support someone to be come as independent as possible during that time. I hope the people of Ipswich and Suffolk would like to support me by donating to my online giving page.”
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 3 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 6 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 7 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 8 Revealed: The top serious road crash hotspots in Suffolk
- 9 Huge barn conversion with amazing field views goes up for rent
- 10 14 players that Town could target for a creative spark
Mr Wahnon has undertaken 16 weeks of tough training to prepare himself for the marathon and, in that time, has improved his fitness and speed.
He hopes to complete the 26.2 miles in just over four hours.
Paul Fleet, senior community fundraiser for British Red Cross in Norfolk and Suffolk, said: “I would like to thank Fabio for taking on this challenge for the British Red Cross.
“Running a marathon is incredibly difficult and everyone at British Red Cross wishes him the best of luck.
“Without people like Fabio taking on challenges like this and raising vital money, we would really struggle to provide our services. I really hope the people of Ipswich and the surrounding area would like to support him by making a donation.”
To donate, go to www.virginmoneygiving.com and type in Fabio Wahnon – all money raised will be used to help people in Ipswich and across Suffolk.
For more information on British Red Cross or to offer support with collections or volunteering, contact Paul Fleet on either 01603 253 412 or firstname.lastname@example.org.