End regional agenda: Jenkin
THE Tories yesterday promised to restore the authority and independence of local councils and to end the Government's region agenda.Shadow Minister for the Regions Bernard Jenkin - MP for Essex North - said the proposed regions were “another wasteful, bureaucratic tier of government.
By Graham Dines
THE Tories yesterday promised to restore the authority and independence of local councils and to end the Government's region agenda.
Shadow Minister for the Regions Bernard Jenkin - MP for Essex North - said the proposed regions were “another wasteful, bureaucratic tier of government.”
He added: “They will not add a single, extra teacher, nurse or policemen to our failing public services.
You may also want to watch:
“Do people really want more paid politicians and higher council tax to pay for this fake devolution? Labour promises democracy, but delivers bureaucracy.”
He said the Tory alternative to proposed regional assemblies was real decentralisation - “giving powers back to counties, cities, boroughs and districts, to communities with a real, historic, sense of identity.
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 3 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 4 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
- 7 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 8 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 9 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 10 'They have big dreams... we're in great hands' - Town favourite Yallop on his links to new US owners
“I give you this pledge. Every power that Labour gives to regional assemblies, we will give back to local councils - housing, transport, planning, special development, waste management, culture, fire and rescue.
“We'll end Labour's phoney regional agenda. We'll cut down the regional government offices. Councillors should be free to serve their communities,” said Mr Jenkin.