Essex care home residents perform their own songs with professional orchestra at concert
- Credit: Archant
Staff and residents from four north Essex care homes joined a professional orchestra to perform at a special concert at the end of a music project.
The Essex Folk project has seen people at Cheviot Nursing and Scarlett’s Care homes in Colchester, Well House in Brightlingsea and Sea Breeze Residential Care Home in Clacton take part in a series of workshops over the past two months.
Residents created their own songs and lyrics at the sessions with help from composer Sam Glazer and musicians from professional orchestra Sinfonia Vivia, supported by Essex County Council’s cultural development and quality improvement teams and Orchestras Live.
They performed their songs alongside the orchestra during a concert at Colchester Arts Centre yesterday to an audience which included local dignataries.
Dick Madden, county councillor for adults, said: “This is an excellent project that has enabled older residents in north Essex care homes to engage with music and be really creative.
You may also want to watch:
“It has also enhanced the skills of staff within the homes and contributed to the ongoing arts work with older people in Essex.
“As a council we are committed to improving the public health and wellbeing of the county’s residents and this project has provided a fantastic way to keep participants active in both body and mind.”
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 3 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 8 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 9 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 10 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?