Essex: Cooker fire warning after small blaze in Harwich
- Credit: Archant
A warning has been given out to homeowners about the dangers of cooker fires.
Fire crews were called to a kitchen fire in Maple Close, Harwich, just after 4.20pm on Saturday.
The fire was quickly out and was extinguished by 4.40pm.
But Essex County Fire and Rescue Service’s divisional officer Neil Fenwick warned that kitchen fires could cause devastation to a home.
He said: “Our firefighters attend hundreds of fires a year which originate in the kitchen. Cooking is one of the major causes of fires in the home and even the smallest kitchen fire can cause devastation to your home and leave loved ones injured or even killed.
You may also want to watch:
“If a fire does break out in your kitchen do not attempt to tackle it yourself. Just get yourself and your family out and call the fire service, we can deal with the fire safely and quickly.
“The best advice I can give is make sure that you fit, and regularly test, a smoke alarm. It is the single most important piece of safety equipment in any home. A smoke alarm provides vital warning that a fire has broken out waking sleeping people up and giving everyone time to get safely out.”
- 1 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 2 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 7 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 10 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'
More fires start in the kitchen than any room in the house with cooking being a particularly prevalent cause of fire accounting for a third of all house fires in Essex.