Essex coronavirus patient dies in hospital
- Credit: PA
A woman has died from coronavirus after being treated at an Essex hospital.
In a statement from Mid Essex Hospital NHS Trust, officials confirmed the patient, in her 90s, had died at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford.
The woman was one of 14 people known to test positive for coronavirus in Essex and one of 71 in the East of England.
Doctors confirmed she had underlying health problems.
MORE: Join our Facebook group for updates on SuffolkA Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust spokesperson said: 'Sadly, we can confirm that a woman patient in her 90s, with underlying health conditions and who had tested positive for COVID-19, has died.
'Her family have been informed and our thoughts and condolences are with them at this difficult and distressing time.
You may also want to watch:
'The trust, DHSC, NHS England and NHS Improvement will not be giving out any further information about this patient.
'We would ask that you respect the wishes of the family, and the interests of staff at the hospital to avoid any disruption to operational services.'
Yesterday, government figures showed that the number of cases in the East of England had increased by 28.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 7 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 8 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 9 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 10 Tribute to Kaine, 24, at estate's new underpass mural
Three patients are known to have the virus in Suffolk while one patient has tested positive in Norfolk.
So far 35 people are known to have died from the disease in the UK - 14 of those deaths were confirmed yesterday.