Essex coronavirus patient dies in hospital
- Credit: PA
A woman has died from coronavirus after being treated at an Essex hospital.
In a statement from Mid Essex Hospital NHS Trust, officials confirmed the patient, in her 90s, had died at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford.
The woman was one of 14 people known to test positive for coronavirus in Essex and one of 71 in the East of England.
Doctors confirmed she had underlying health problems.
MORE: Join our Facebook group for updates on SuffolkA Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust spokesperson said: 'Sadly, we can confirm that a woman patient in her 90s, with underlying health conditions and who had tested positive for COVID-19, has died.
'Her family have been informed and our thoughts and condolences are with them at this difficult and distressing time.
You may also want to watch:
'The trust, DHSC, NHS England and NHS Improvement will not be giving out any further information about this patient.
'We would ask that you respect the wishes of the family, and the interests of staff at the hospital to avoid any disruption to operational services.'
Yesterday, government figures showed that the number of cases in the East of England had increased by 28.
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 9 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 10 'They have big dreams... we're in great hands' - Town favourite Yallop on his links to new US owners
Three patients are known to have the virus in Suffolk while one patient has tested positive in Norfolk.
So far 35 people are known to have died from the disease in the UK - 14 of those deaths were confirmed yesterday.