Essex: Council to review Meals on Wheels
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Meals on Wheels could increase in price for Essex residents.
Essex County Council has launched a six-week consultation on the service.
The authority says a review is needed due to budget pressures and a reduction in the number of people using the service.
However although County Hall says the price could go up depending on the result of the consultation, the service will not be cut.
It hopes other ways of providing meals, such as lunch clubs and through community groups, may be more viable or the subsidy of meals may have to be removed.
You may also want to watch:
If the subsidy is removed a meal, which currently costs £3.95 and includes a dessert, would cost the actual value of £4.79.
Anne Brown, county councillor for adult social care, said: “I am aware that for some residents meals on wheels is a vital service, however as alternative options have appeared in the market – such as supermarket home delivery and community lunch clubs – the number of customers has fallen which means it is difficult to continue to provide the service in its current guise and provide value for money for Essex taxpayers.”
The consultation will run until July 7. All customers should get a copy of the consultation in the post, along with support and guidance on how to complete it. It can also be found online.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 4 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 5 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 8 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 9 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 10 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house