Road closed after drivers ‘ignore’ signs and meet traffic head on
- Credit: ESSEX HIGHWAYS
Part of a busy Colchester road has been shut both ways until mid March after motorists reportedly ignored closure signs and drove into the path of oncoming traffic.
Essex Highways has closed the southern stretch of Ipswich Road (A1232) in both directions as an “emergency safety measure” after “too many” drivers skipped signs – posing a hazard to fellow road users.
Part of the road had been closed one way since Monday, February 18, in preparation for major junction upgrades in the area.
However it will now be shut both ways to members of the public and workers until Friday, March 15.
The closure covers a stretch of the road between the roundabout with St Andrew’s Avenue and Fenwick Drive.
Drivers are being advised to check the diversion map on the council’s website, and plan for delays ahead of time.
You may also want to watch:
Taking to social media to share the news, Essex Highways tweeted: “Ipswich Rd (south) #Colchester NOW CLOSED BOTH WAYS as emergency safety measure for public and workers as too many drivers ignoring closure, driving past signs & meeting other traffic head-on.
“Closed now to 15 March. Please see diversion map, allow extra time”.
- 1 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 2 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 3 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 6 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 9 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 10 Fiat 500 on its side after crash in Woodbridge