Fire spreads from shop to flat in heart of historic Essex town
- Credit: Google
Essex’s fire control room received more than a dozen emergency calls reporting a blaze near to one of the county’s largest medieval churches.
Five crews from the county were sent to tackle the fire, which broke out at the Oka furniture shop in Church Street, Saffron Walden, and spread to an adjoining flat.
Firefighters were despatched just after 3pm yesterday and arrived to find the fire was in the roof of the three storey building, which measured around 15x15m.
Church Street, which is home to St Mary’s Church, the largest non-cathedral church in Essex, was closed to traffic.
By 4pm, firefighters reporting making “good progress” tackling the fire, though parts of the roof had collapsed.
You may also want to watch:
The incident was scaled down after 6pm, while two engines remained at the scene to check for hot spots.
“The cause of the fire in unknown at this stage,” a fire service spokesman said.
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 5 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 6 Dog walker in his 60s assaulted at Stour Valley beauty spot
- 7 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 8 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 9 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 10 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
“An investigation will be carried out.”