Fire which damaged 12 vehicles at Colchester car storage yard thought to deliberate
An investigation will take place after a major fire was started in the early hours of this morning and damaged a dozen vehicles at an Essex storage yard.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service received reports of a fire in Greenstead Road, Colchester, just before 3am.
Crews from Wivenhoe, Manningtree and two from Colchester spent more than an hour tackling the blaze, which was initially reported to involve 21 vehicles. ECFRS later revised the figure to 12 vehicles.
“An investigation will take place to establish the cause of the fire,” a spokesman added.
Essex Police is appealing for witnesses to the fire to get in touch.
You may also want to watch:
“It is believed that the fire, which is being treated as deliberate, started just after 2.35am this morning, Monday, May 28,” an Essex Police spokesman added.
“Firefighters from Essex County Fire and Rescue Service attended and put out the blaze, which damaged 12 cars.”
- 1 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 2 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 5 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 7 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 8 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 9 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 10 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
Anyone with information, or who may have CCTV or dash cam footage from around the time of the incident, is asked to call 101 and speak to Colchester CID. Please quote reference number 157 of 28/05.
Alternatively, you can contact Crimestoppers charity 100% anonymously on 0800 555 111 or use the anonymous online form at Crimestoppers-uk.org