‘Explosion’ over Essex was sonic boom from RAF Typhoon escorting Stansted flight
- Credit: PA
A 25-year-old woman was arrested after two RAF Typhoon jets were sent to escort a plane back to Stansted Airport.
The two Typhoon fighter aircraft caused a sonic boom in the area as they escorted the plane back to Stansted - prompting 999 calls from people who thought there had been an explosion.
Essex police received a large number of 999 calls about a loud explosion. The force confirmed the noise was a sonic boom from a passing aircraft.
Jet2 later said there had been an "extremely disruptive passenger" on board a flight from Stansted to Dalaman, in Turkey, on Saturday, forcing the aircraft to return to the London airport.
Essex Police said a woman was arrested on suspicion of assault and endangering an aircraft.
You may also want to watch:
An Essex Police spokeswoman said: "We were made aware of a disruptive passenger on an inbound flight to Stansted this evening, Saturday June 22.
"There is a possibility that residents nearby may have heard a loud noise, often associated with a sonic boom, as the aircraft descended into Stansted airspace.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 3 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 4 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 5 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 7 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 8 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 9 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 10 Fiat 500 on its side after crash in Woodbridge
"Officers attended and arrested a 25-year-old woman on suspicion of two assaults and endangering an aircraft. She remains in custody."
A Royal Air Force spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that RAF quick reaction alert Typhoon aircraft from RAF Coningsby scrambled to escort a commercial flight into Stansted shortly after take-off due to reports of a disruptive passenger."