‘Explosion’ over Essex was sonic boom from RAF Typhoon escorting Stansted flight
- Credit: PA
A 25-year-old woman was arrested after two RAF Typhoon jets were sent to escort a plane back to Stansted Airport.
The two Typhoon fighter aircraft caused a sonic boom in the area as they escorted the plane back to Stansted - prompting 999 calls from people who thought there had been an explosion.
Essex police received a large number of 999 calls about a loud explosion. The force confirmed the noise was a sonic boom from a passing aircraft.
Jet2 later said there had been an "extremely disruptive passenger" on board a flight from Stansted to Dalaman, in Turkey, on Saturday, forcing the aircraft to return to the London airport.
Essex Police said a woman was arrested on suspicion of assault and endangering an aircraft.
You may also want to watch:
An Essex Police spokeswoman said: "We were made aware of a disruptive passenger on an inbound flight to Stansted this evening, Saturday June 22.
"There is a possibility that residents nearby may have heard a loud noise, often associated with a sonic boom, as the aircraft descended into Stansted airspace.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 4 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 5 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 6 Ndaba on Salford, Neville's advice, his brush with Ronaldo-mania and his goal of reaching the Ipswich Town first-team
- 7 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
"Officers attended and arrested a 25-year-old woman on suspicion of two assaults and endangering an aircraft. She remains in custody."
A Royal Air Force spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that RAF quick reaction alert Typhoon aircraft from RAF Coningsby scrambled to escort a commercial flight into Stansted shortly after take-off due to reports of a disruptive passenger."