Hazard teams called to railway station reports of batteries giving off sulphuric acid fumes
PUBLISHED: 16:16 17 September 2018
Industrial batteries in the control room of a railway station overheated giving off suspected sulphuric acid fumes.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service was called to Colchester Railway Station, in North Station Road, at around 3.15pm to report of “concern over battery fumes”.
“Crews were called to Colchester Station after reports that a person was suffering from the effect of hazardous fumes and had been taken ill,” a spokesman said.
“On arrival firefighters reported that a bank of industrial batteries had overheated in the control room and were concerned they may be giving off sulphuric acid fumes.
“The Hazardous Materials Officer then ran serval tests to determine if there was any further risk, and confirmed that the area was safe.”
The batteries were then isolated and the scene was handed back to Network Rail shortly after 6pm.