Hazard teams called to railway station reports of batteries giving off sulphuric acid fumes
- Credit: Google
Industrial batteries in the control room of a railway station overheated giving off suspected sulphuric acid fumes.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service was called to Colchester Railway Station, in North Station Road, at around 3.15pm to report of “concern over battery fumes”.
“Crews were called to Colchester Station after reports that a person was suffering from the effect of hazardous fumes and had been taken ill,” a spokesman said.
“On arrival firefighters reported that a bank of industrial batteries had overheated in the control room and were concerned they may be giving off sulphuric acid fumes.
“The Hazardous Materials Officer then ran serval tests to determine if there was any further risk, and confirmed that the area was safe.”
You may also want to watch:
The batteries were then isolated and the scene was handed back to Network Rail shortly after 6pm.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 8 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 9 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 10 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season