Essex: Fire crews tackle big straw blaze
Firefighters spent the night tackling a blaze involving 300 tonnes of bailed straw.
Two appliances were initially sent to the scene at 11pm last night, but on arrival the incident commander reported that the straw was well alight and requested two extra crews.
Police were called to close the A414 Maldon Road at Hall Farm, Woodham Mortimer, as embers were spreading onto the carriageway
A high volume pump was sent to the scene from the Urban Search and Rescue station at Lexden.
At 7.30am today two crews were still at the scene with the large haystack, measuring 15m x 15m, still well alight and being allowed to burn out in a controlled way.
You may also want to watch:
“We have no information relating to the cause of this incident at this time,” said a fire service spokesman.
“The road remains closed in both directions. We anticipate being at the scene for some time this morning.”
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 5 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 6 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 7 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 8 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 9 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence
- 10 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune