Flats evacuated after rubbish bag deliberately set alight

PUBLISHED: 08:30 29 March 2020 | UPDATED: 10:21 29 March 2020

Firefighters were sent to the scene (stock image) Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Firefighters were sent to the scene (stock image) Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN


Firefighters evacuated 12 flats after a bag of rubbish caught alight in a communal stairwell – and a fire experts believes the blaze was set deliberately.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service crews – one each from Coggeshall, Halstead and Braintree fire stations – were sent to St John’s Avenue in Braintree to reports a bag of waste was on fire.

They arrived at the scene at 11.43am on Saturday.

A spokesman for the service said: “The flats were evacuated by crews as a precaution due to the amount of smoke that had accumulated.

“Thankfully, no-one was injured and none of the flats were affected by fire.”

The fire had been put out by 12.36pm, before firefighters used ventilation fans to clear smoke from the building.

After carrying out an investigation, fire crews said they believe the fire was started deliberately, and passed their findings on to the police.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times