Essex: Giant wind turbines installed off Clacton coast
- Credit: Archant
TWO of the world’s largest offshore wind turbines have been installed off the Essex coast.
DONG Energy announced yesterday it had finished work constructing a pair of demonstration turbines in Gunfleet Sands.
Measuring a staggering 120m in diameter and 148m high, the Siemens six megawatt generators will be able to produce more energy than any other.
The turbines had already been tested on land in Denmark and will now go through a demonstration programme at their new site, just four-and-a-half miles off the coast of Clacton.
DONG Energy recently announced that it had signed aN agreement with Siemens to deliver 300 of the turbines for exclusive use at DONG Energy’s projects around the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Benj Sykes, DONG Energy Wind Power’s UK manager said: “These are the first two turbines of their kind to be installed offshore in the world and we are very excited to have them tested at our Gunfleet Sands site.”
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 5 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 6 Dog walker in his 60s assaulted at Stour Valley beauty spot
- 7 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 8 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
- 9 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 10 Large scratches left on cars all parked on same road overnight