Essex: Giant wind turbines installed off Clacton coast
- Credit: Archant
TWO of the world’s largest offshore wind turbines have been installed off the Essex coast.
DONG Energy announced yesterday it had finished work constructing a pair of demonstration turbines in Gunfleet Sands.
Measuring a staggering 120m in diameter and 148m high, the Siemens six megawatt generators will be able to produce more energy than any other.
The turbines had already been tested on land in Denmark and will now go through a demonstration programme at their new site, just four-and-a-half miles off the coast of Clacton.
DONG Energy recently announced that it had signed aN agreement with Siemens to deliver 300 of the turbines for exclusive use at DONG Energy’s projects around the UK.
Benj Sykes, DONG Energy Wind Power’s UK manager said: “These are the first two turbines of their kind to be installed offshore in the world and we are very excited to have them tested at our Gunfleet Sands site.”
- 1 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 2 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 3 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 4 Harper and El Mizouni made available for loan
- 5 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 6 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 7 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof
- 8 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 9 Long delays on A12 after overturned tractor trailer
- 10 Fire crews called to dog locked inside car in north Suffolk