Essex: Investigation launched as a number of animals die in barn blaze
- Credit: Archant
A number of animals being housed in a barn near Saffron Walden died when the building was gutted by fire this morning.
Firefighters from Saffron Walden were sent to the blaze in Bartlow Road, Ashdon, at about 6.20am – on arrival it was reported that the barn was “well alight and full of smoke”.
Shortly before 7am the fire had been surrounded and surviving livestock had been rescued from the barn, which was sectioned off to accommodate the animals and machinery.
The incident was brought under control at about 7.20am.
A fire service spokesman said: “Although crews were able to rescue livestock from the barn, a number of animals died in the fire.”
You may also want to watch:
An investigation is now due to take place to find out what caused the blaze.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 6 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
- 10 'Things might have been very different'... outgoing skipper Chambers reflects on that play-off season