Essex: Live mice found in noodles at Chinese takeaway
A CHINESE takeaway has been ordered to shut down after two live mice were found in a box of noodles.
Environmental health inspectors found the rodents in a box of dried noodles in the store room of the Dragon Palace Chinese Takeaway on London Road in Westcliff, Southend.
They also found mice droppings “throughout the premises” and two dead mice on the floor, a spokesman for Southend Council said.
The council’s lead food officer Steve Ramm said: “Mice not only pass on harmful bacteria when gnawing food but they also urinate very regularly so work surfaces and the hands of staff also become contaminated.
“Bacteria therefore will pass from the insides of mice to the insides of humans which clearly is an unacceptable risk to public health.’’
You may also want to watch:
The council spokesman said that at a hearing at Southend Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, the takeaway was ordered to close.
The restaurant owners were sent detailed written advice and received several hours of training but failed to meet hygiene standards when they were visited last week.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 4 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 5 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 6 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 7 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 8 Another former Town player completes Colchester move
- 9 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 10 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
Southend Council has yet to decide whether to instigate criminal proceedings over the inspection findings.