Essex: Man dies after crash near Colchester, driver arrested
A MAN has died after a two-vehicle collision near Colchester yesterday.
He was the driver of red Suzuki Wagon that collided with a silver Audi A4 north-east of West Bergholt around 5.20pm.
Essex Police confirmed the man, who was in his 50s and from the local area, was pronounced dead at the scene of the smash on the B1508 Bures Road - also known as Colchester Road - near its junction with Crabtree Lane.
Two fire crews from Colchester were scrambled to the scene, where they used hydraulic cutting equipment to free the body. They left the scene around 7.40pm.
Essex Ambulance Service said they took one patient - described as walking wounded - to Colchester General Hospital for further treatment.
You may also want to watch:
Police said that after having hospital treatment, the 32-year-old man driver of the Audi, was later arrested on suspicion of death by dangerous driving and has been bailed until April 4, 2011.
Officers have appealed for anyone who may have witnesses the collision or who may have seen either vehicles in the area before the collision to come forward.
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 3 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 4 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 5 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 6 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
- 9 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
Anyone with information should contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 0300 333 4444.