From zoo animals to cupcakes, parents choose their winners in Essex Mums Awards
- Credit: JEN BAKER
The results are in and the winners of this year’s Essex Mums Awards have been announced - including votes from dads too.
More than 50,000 votes were cast over the summer, after parents in the county nominated people, places and businesses which help to make life easier for families in the county.
Little Lucy’s Bakery from Braintree was one of the winners, taking the Best Cakes or Cupcakes Award for the second year running.
Owner Lucy Norwood said: “It’s fantastic to win again, really lovely. A lot of my customers have been with me for quite a while, and they keep coming back.”
She said that the bakery made a lot of cakes for children’s birthdays, including unusual designs, with many parents among their customers.
You may also want to watch:
A first-time winner was Jen JB Photography, which took the Best Family Photographer prize. The proprietor of the business, Jen Baker, is herself the single mum of four-year-old Jacob.
She said: “I was really chuffed - when I found out I was really pleased.” Jen does a lot of photography for weddings where the couple’s children are there and taking part in the ceremony, making it a real family occasion.
- 1 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 2 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 3 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 7 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 8 Five fire engines called to red deer trapped in tree
- 9 Ndaba on Salford, Neville's advice, his brush with Ronaldo-mania and his goal of reaching the Ipswich Town first-team
- 10 Three vehicle crash causing delays near Ipswich
Although she is based in Rayleigh, she often photographs occasions in the Colchester area, across Essex and further afield.
Jen said she thought the Mums Awards were very useful. “If other mums have gone out of their way to recommend a service, I would rather go there than to someone anonymous.”
Top Essex attraction Colchester Zoo scooped two awards, with the zoo winning Best Day Out: Outdoors, while its Shriek Week was named as Best Halloween Event.
Melissa Fitch, business development manager, said they had won both these awards previously and were delighted to win again. “We have just been preparing for this year’s Halloween events,” she said.
The special week features a wide range of events on a spooky theme, and a Fright Night where the zoo stays open late.
She added: “Thank you to everybody who took time to vote for us. There is a lot of hard work that goes into these events.
“To be chosen as best outdoor day out is also fantastic news. We really strive to work for conservation, so that children who visit learn something at the same time.”
Organisers of the Essex Mums Awards described the response as “just amazing”. Since they started in 2014, they have grown in popularity.
A full list of winners is available on the Essex Mums website.