Essex: New footbridge at Braintree Freeport station to ease commuting
PEOPLE will soon be reaping the benefits of improved access to Braintree Freeport Station with the installation of a new footbridge.
The steel bridge, which crosses the Braintree to Witham railway line, was lifted into place over the weekend.
Lady Patricia Newton, Braintree District Council’s cabinet member for place, said: “This bridge is going to make such a big difference to the residents of Heathlands and the surrounding areas – now they will be able to leave their cars at home and take a short walk or cycle ride to Braintree Freeport railway station, Freeport shopping village and the nearby sport and leisure facilities.
“It will mean healthier lifestyles and greener travelling for many more residents in the district.”
The footbridge was lifted into place, with one of only two specialist cranes in the country, overnight on Sunday to cause minimal disruption.
You may also want to watch:
With the bridge lift now complete, final work will be taking place on the bridge and accesses on either side to ensure it is ready to open in early December.
The project has been funded by Braintree District Council, Essex County Council and contributions from neighbouring developments.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 4 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival