Colchester councillor insists town is ‘safe’ as two released on bail following double attack
- Credit: Archant
People in Colchester have been assured their town is “still safe” following a hot water attack and stabbing, which took place over the weekend.
Phil Coleman, spokesman for the crime and disorder committee at Colchester Borough Council, made the comments after police arrested two more men in connection with the incidents in the town – which are being treated as linked, targeted attacks.
A 48-year-old man from Colchester was arrested after a man suffered burns inflicted by hot water on Sussex Road in the early hours of Sunday morning.
A 25-year-old man from Lowestoft was also arrested on suspicion of possessing a knife and grievous bodily harm after a man was stabbed in St John’s Walk on the same night.
A third boy, aged 16 and from Dalston, London, was previously arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent. The 25-year-old man and 16-year-old boy have since been released on bail until Sunday, September 16.
You may also want to watch:
The attacks happened within minutes of one another, and less than a mile apart.
Mr Coleman said – while the news was very concerning – it was important to consider “perception versus reality” when it comes to crime.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 5 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 6 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 7 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
“Colchester is still a safe town,” he said, adding that incidents such as these were in a “real minority”.
Despite this, he said that government cuts had taken their toll, with police in Colchester “down on numbers” – and efforts were being made to improve safety in the town.
“We are a growing town and our resources need to grow with it,” he said. “You will see more officers on the beat in Colchester.”
Essex Police was first called at around 2.20am on Sunday, August 19, after a man was stabbed in the back in St John’s Walk by a suspect who fled the scene. The victim was taken hospital in a stable condition.
Police were then contacted by the ambulance service at around 3am after another man had an unknown liquid thrown at his chest and neck in Sussex Road.
Mr Coleman, who works as a PE teacher at The Colne Community School in the town, added that education was key in the battle against violent behaviour.
Anyone with information about the attacks should contact the Colchester CID on 101 quoting incident 181 or 215 of 19/08 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.