Man arrested after pedestrian dies following collision with van
- Credit: Google
A pedestrian has been killed in a collision involving a van in Essex early this morning.
The 32-year-old man was walking along the B1383 Cambridge Road, Ugley, between Saffron Walden and Bishop’s Storford, when he was involved in a collision with a Volkswagen Transporter van.
Essex Police received reports of a road traffic collision involving a pedestrian shortly after 2.30am this morning.
“Sadly he died at the scene despite the efforts of paramedics,” a police spokesman said.
“The road has been closed between Pound Lane and The Chequers pub while forensic examination work is carried out and drivers are asked to avoid the area.”
You may also want to watch:
A 51-year-old man from the Saffron Walden area has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.
Police have appealed for witnesses who saw a two men walking along a road shortly before the crash.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 9 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 10 'They have big dreams... we're in great hands' - Town favourite Yallop on his links to new US owners
Inspr Rob Brettell, of the Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “Our enquiries are still in their early stages but we have established that the pedestrian and a relative had left a function at Quendon Hall in Quendon and were walking along Cambridge Road.
“We are keen to speak to anyone who was in the area at the time and saw two men walking along that route.”
Witnesses and anyone with CCTV or dash cam footage are asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 01245 240590 or email Collision Appeal.