Essex police officer dies after being struck by lorry
- Credit: IAN BURT
An off-duty Essex police officer has died after being struck by a lorry while riding his motorcycle.
The collision happened on the A414 at Writtle, near Chelmsford, at around 1.55pm on Thursday.
The road was closed while officers conducted an investigation.
No arrests were made by police after the incident.
Essex Police has now confirmed one of its officers, who was off duty at the time, died after being involved in the collision.
The force has declined to name the officer.
An Essex Police statement said: "Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this incredibly difficult time."
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 6 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 7 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 8 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
Anyone who may have witnessed the collision, or has dashcam footage of the area, is urged to contact Essex Police, quoting incident 572 of December 17.