Motorists urged ‘drive safe, drive sober’ as summer crackdown brings 124 arrests
- Credit: Archant
Drivers have been warned the fine summer weather is no excuse for drinking before getting behind the wheel – after more than 100 people were arrested in just 18 days in Essex.
Essex Police’s summer anti-drink and drug driving campaign has seen 124 arrests.
During the first 18 days of the campaign, which started on Thursday, June 14, 63 people were arrested on suspicion of drink driving, 48 on suspicion of drug driving, and 13 on suspicion of failing to provide a specimen.
Officers have stopped and interacted with 1,553 vehicles and drivers during the campaign so far.
Head of Roads Policing, Adam Pipe, said: “We have had a spell of really good weather this summer and naturally people will want to enjoy it by going to the pub or having a BBQ, but that is no excuse for drink or drug driving.
You may also want to watch:
“Alcohol and drugs can significantly impact your ability to react to something on the road when you’re driving and the results can be fatal.
“My officers will continue to target those acting recklessly on our roads through proactive operations and by responding to invaluable information from the community.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 5 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 8 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 9 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
“If you see someone you think is drink or drug driving call us on 101 and if you have any information or intelligence on someone who has been or regularly drink or drug drives send it to the Safer Essex Roads Partnership’s Extra Eyes website.
“Whatever you do this summer please remember to ‘Drive Safe, Drive Sober’.”
To report a drink or drug driver to us call 101.
If you have information or intelligence on someone who has been or regularly drink or drug driving send it to Safer Essex Roads.