Suspected drug-driver caught doing 66mph in a 40mph zone
A driver was arrested after being caught travelling at 66mph in a 40mph zone - and then reportedly tested positive for drugs at the roadside.
The Essex Roads Policing Unit said officers were carrying out speed checks in Colchester on Sunday, February 10 when they came across the motorist travelling 26mph above the speed limit.
The driver would even have been breaking the speed limit on a road with the national speed limit of 60mph.
However officers said the driver then failed a drug wipe test.
Officers Tweeted afterwards: “Proactive speed checks in the #Colchester area find PC Coe and SC Gliddon with a vehicle travelling at 66mph in a 40 limit.
You may also want to watch:
“Driver then also failed a drug wipe so was arrested Section 5A Drug Drive! #Goodstop #Fatal5.”
Drink and drug-driving is considered as one of the “fatal four” road offences along with speeding, using a mobile phone while driving and not wearing a seatbelt.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
Anyone who sees suspected drink or drug-driving should call police on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 101.