Essex: Songwriter Annie Lennox and London 2012 Olympic star Laura Trott awarded honorary degrees at University of Essex
- Credit: Archant
Acclaimed songwriter Annie Lennox and London Olympic star Laura Trott were awarded honorary degrees at the University of Essex today.
Singer Ms Lennox said she was “delighted” after being recognised for her human rights work and political and social activism.
She was presented with the honour by the university’s chancellor, Lord Phillips of Sudbury, during a packed graduation ceremony at the Ivor Crewe Lecture Hall on the university’s Colchester campus.
Ms Lennox was commended on her far-reaching humanitarian projects which have made vital, practical, life-saving differences, predominantly in South Africa.
Her SING campaign, which helps women and children suffering from HIV, was also celebrated.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Lennox said: “The University of Essex has been recognised by both the Queen and Nelson Mandela for its involvement with the fight for human rights around the world – and I am delighted to receive this award in recognition of my work to raise awareness and funds for humanitarian causes and, in particular, for those affected by HIV and Aids.
“It is vital to work together to help people who need access to education, healthcare and justice.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 6 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 7 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 10 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
Double London 2012 cycling gold medallist Laura Trott, who was born in Essex, was also awarded for her achievements in European, World and Olympic cycling.