Essex: Songwriter Annie Lennox and London 2012 Olympic star Laura Trott awarded honorary degrees at University of Essex
- Credit: Archant
Acclaimed songwriter Annie Lennox and London Olympic star Laura Trott were awarded honorary degrees at the University of Essex today.
Singer Ms Lennox said she was “delighted” after being recognised for her human rights work and political and social activism.
She was presented with the honour by the university’s chancellor, Lord Phillips of Sudbury, during a packed graduation ceremony at the Ivor Crewe Lecture Hall on the university’s Colchester campus.
Ms Lennox was commended on her far-reaching humanitarian projects which have made vital, practical, life-saving differences, predominantly in South Africa.
Her SING campaign, which helps women and children suffering from HIV, was also celebrated.
Ms Lennox said: “The University of Essex has been recognised by both the Queen and Nelson Mandela for its involvement with the fight for human rights around the world – and I am delighted to receive this award in recognition of my work to raise awareness and funds for humanitarian causes and, in particular, for those affected by HIV and Aids.
“It is vital to work together to help people who need access to education, healthcare and justice.”
- 1 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 2 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 3 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 4 Gang who stole from Suffolk museum jailed for total of 74 years
- 5 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
- 6 Suspected speeder detained after car crashes into field
- 7 'Bonne Mania' made us all smile... it faded but we'll always have the memories
- 8 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 9 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 10 See inside this 'chocolate box' cottage up for sale for £435,000
Double London 2012 cycling gold medallist Laura Trott, who was born in Essex, was also awarded for her achievements in European, World and Olympic cycling.