Essex: Sport chiefs overjoyed as it is confirmed the county will form part of next year’s Tour de France
- Credit: AP
Sport chiefs in Essex were full of excitement today as it was confirmed that part of the 2014 Tour de France route will go through the county.
The route will see the world’s best cyclists pedal through the county, with parts of Braintree being included in the third stage of the tour – it will come through Essex on July 7, 2014.
Essex County Council’s cabinet member for public health and wellbeing, Ann Naylor, said: “We’re delighted to be able to say “bienvenue” from Essex to a global audience of up to 3.5 billion people next July. This is yet another great sporting event to come to our county.”
For two competitors who are likely to be part of the race, Team Sky’s Ian Stannard and Movistar’s Alex Dowsett, news that the Tour will come through Essex will be a big boost, as they are both from Chelmsford.
Mrs Naylor added: “Cycling is not only a fast-growing global sport but a great way of keeping fit and healthy.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s wonderful that we may have two inspirational Essex-born stars riding through their home county and I’m sure the spectacle of the peleton flashing through our towns and countryside will be a brilliant way to showcase our county to the world.”
More details about the route can be found at www.essex.gov.uk
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 6 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 What has changed in Woodbridge over lockdown?
- 9 Person taken to hospital after two-car crash
- 10 Suffolk pensioner exposed to asbestos for up to 30 years as carpenter