Essex/Suffolk: Top cyclist Emma Trott has sights set on Women’s Tour Series
- Credit: Archant
One of Britain’s top road racing cyclists Emma Trott has been in Essex testing out the route for the first ever Women’s Tour.
Emma is building up her training schedule and is looking to make a significant impact on the event from May 7-11. The Tour will take place over five stages, with Bury St Edmunds being the final push. Stage three and five will be making their way through parts of Suffolk.
Speakign about her excitement, Emma said: “The crowds for the Olympic cycle races in 2012 were awesome and we are all hoping that there is another fantastic turnout. The event is what all the girls are talking about, and have been for some time. Getting a race like this in Britain is just huge.”
While some of the route goes through her home county of Hertfordshire, Trott is keen to do her homework and suss out every single section of the race for herself and teammates. Stage three starts from Felixstowe seafront at 11am on May 9.
It will go through Brightwell, Little Bealings, Kesgrave, Ipswich, Freston then down into Essex via Manningtree, Great Oakley, Beaumont, Thorpe-le-Soken and Great Holland, finishing in Marine Parade, Clacton-on-Sea at about 1.20pm.
You may also want to watch:
Stage five begins in Harwich at 10am on May 11 and it continues through Mistley and East Bergholt before returning to Suffolk via Hadleigh, Great Cornard, Sudbury, Long Melford, Lavenham, Great Finborough and Little Whelnetham, ending up in Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds at about 12.50pm.
Emma said: “There are fantastic riders in every team and it will be tough. I am really looking forward to the tour and this is an opportunity to put women’s cycling on the map.”
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 9 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 10 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
Eleven of the world’s top 14 professional women’s teams will be racing in May.
For more on the tour route, click here