max temp: 11°C

min temp: 5°C


Woman’s lucky escape as fire destroys kitchen

PUBLISHED: 09:43 23 June 2018 | UPDATED: 09:43 23 June 2018

The fire happened in Montbretia Close, Stanway Picture: GOOGLE MAPS

The fire happened in Montbretia Close, Stanway Picture: GOOGLE MAPS


An Essex woman made a lucky escape from her burning home after being alerted to a fire by her smoke alarm.

The blaze broke out in the kitchen of the property in Montbretia Close, Stanway, around 7pm yesterday.

The homeowner was upstairs when she heard the smoke alarm sounding so she rushed out and phoned the fire brigade.

On arrival, firefighters found the kitchen was fully alight and the fire was starting to spread upstairs.

The crews – two from Colchester and one from Tiptree – extinguished the blaze by 8pm.

Watch manager Darren Holliday, from Colchester Fire Station, said: “The homeowner was upstairs when she heard the smoke alarm so she quickly got out of the house and called 999, which was the right thing to do.

“This fire spread rapidly, so this shows how important it is to have a smoke alarm to alert you to the first sign of the fire.”

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, fire officials said.

The kitchen has been completely destroyed and the house has been damaged by smoke and fire.

Following this incident, Essex County Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people that it can come and fit smoke alarms for free.

To arrange a fitting, visit or call 0300 303 0088.

Two knife wielding robbers threatened staff at an Ipswich convenience shop before fleeing on foot with cash and cigarettes.

A major north Suffolk bridge has reopened after a fire had closed it to traffic.

Don’t leave your New Year’s eve plans until last minute - see what events are happening around Suffolk with our guide.

Motorists are being warned of severe delays following a crash and car fire on the A12.

A driver who was stopped in Ipswich for allegedly using a mobile phone behind the wheel has been arrested after reportedly giving a positive drugs test.

A pub landlord who smashed a pint glass over a customer was put behind bars this week. Take a look at the others here.

Hundreds of US air force staff from RAF Mildenhall and their families are moving to Gloucestershire as the Suffolk base prepares for closure.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24