Essex: Woman in decontamination unit at hospital after chemical incident
A WOMAN has been taken to a decontamination unit at a hospital after a suspected chemical incident in Harlow today.
Firefighters from Harlow and Colchester were alerted shortly before 7am to the garage in Long Ley.
The brigade received reports of a strong smell of chemicals coming from the building.
Four firefighters wearing gas tight suits entered the garage to investigate.
A spokesman for the fire service said the incident is being treated as a chemical incident and the Hazardous Area Response Team were called, while Detection, Identification and Monitoring equipment was in use to identify the substance.
You may also want to watch:
A woman discovered inside the garage was given oxygen therapy at the scene before being taken to the Princess Alexander Hospital, where a decontamination unit was set up to await her arrival.
Divisional Officer Matt Hughes, incident commander, said fire crews and police officers remain at the scene.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 4 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 5 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 6 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 7 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 8 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 9 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 10 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
He said: “We are trying to ascertain whether there was a chemical involved and if so what type.
“The casualty was our first priority. Crews carried out a snatch rescue to save her life and she has been removed to hospital. We are now dealing with the scene.”
Fire crews searched a vehicle and the garage block and a dry decontamination of the affected areas has taken place.
Firefighters were clear of the scene by 11am.